The Lace Market district
Nottingham NG1 1NG
In its Victorian heyday, the factories of Nottingham’s Lace Market produced enough finely manufactured lace to satisfy the demands of women right across the British Empire. Those heady days are long gone, but the old lace factories are still around in the form of what is now as the Lace Market, which stretches north from High Pavement to Carlton Street. The odd clothing industry remnant survives, but otherwise the salesrooms and warehouses of the industry are now mainly converted to offices, and it’s the district's general untouched Victorian appearance which is its main appeal. There are a couple of architectural highlights, though, notably the handsome brick buildings of Broadway and the superb Adams Building, on Stoney Street, which, with its impressive stone and brick facade, was erected in 1855 and was named after its owner, Thomas Adams, a wealthy industrialist and a Quaker.