Most people have someone they'd like to impress on Valentine's Day, but what if you're skint, or – God forbid – your loved one is just a cheap date at heart. Here are a few favourite restaurants in Kent which we're considering for tomorrow night – and they are all places where your money will go further...
1. What could make a better cheap date than a chippie? Not that the Smokehouse – a takeaway spin-off from Folkestone's fancy Rocksalt – is just a chip pie; indeed its fabulously fresh fish, fried in the crispiest batter and served with sumptuous chips, could be the making of any date. Not a pickled egg in sight.
2. For a pub with food, the Five Bells Country Pub in Ashford is a great option, serving great gastro pub grub and decent beers – plus it has four boutique bedrooms if you want to make a night of it.
3. The Ambrette in Margate offers not just foaming mugs of ale but delicious curry too – and if curry and beer doesn't seem that romantic, think again: this place is perfect for a hot and, er, cool date.
4. Sharing an ice cream sounds like something you would do on a hot weekend in July rather than mid February, but the ice creams at Morelli's may warm the chilliest of hearts, especially if you tuck into one of their 'Amore' sundaes.
5. If you are keen on a fish supper the Bay restaurant in the White Hotel is a real find. Situated on the White Cliffs in Dover you can tuck into some fine dishes with white wine in an atmosphere that could be described as snugly romantic.